Thursday, June 9, 2011

Lesson from my basil plants

Earlier this spring, I potted a dozen basil plants and put them by the wall of windows in our living room. It's the brightest spot we have and on sunny days, it's warm like a hothouse even when the temperature is low outside. On my part, the plants only require watering once a day--not at all high-maintenance by any stretch. To my delight, the plants are thriving; they have grown tall and strong from just little seeds! Ironically it is well known that basil plants are not that easy to grow, they require a lot of sunlight.

Everyday without fail each and every plant seeks out the direction of the sun, stretching it's leaves and stems towards the window to maximize exposure to sunlight. If I didn't rotate them regularly, they would have grown lopsided because of their natural and constant bend towards the sun for its sustenance.

I wish I was like these plants--smart enough to seek out the Son everyday for my spiritual sustenance. Didn't Jesus say that he was the bread of life? (John 6:35) And didn't he say that "man shall not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of God" (Matthew 4:4)? Christians wither and droop when we forget Jesus and his words as all this world's offerings fall short of providing sustenance towards our growth and maturity in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment