Monday, November 15, 2010

To run or not to run

Today the sky looked like one big grey blanket, thick with heavy clouds. Relentless rain poured non-stop. The sun was completely veiled except for a few minutes in the afternoon, when it dipped beneath the clouds before setting over the far horizon, a mere sliver of light, peeking through for a few moments--what a tease!

Weather like this offered the perfect excuse to not go outside for my daily run. Besides, I was already physically tired from taking a dance class yesterday and mentally tired from a stressful dream (see previous blog); all the arrows pointed to a no-run decision for today. Yet...I couldn't rest without it; something inside pushed me to go. I have always lacked self discipline, always followed the whim of my feelings and therefore historically loathed running.  To me it was a form of physical torture. 

But four weeks ago, something mysterious happened. It was like the running gene in my body got turned on and I've been running six days a week since then. Even though my muscles have ached day and night, there has been no peace inside without the daily run. Is it the endorphins? Is it my subconscious? Is it the Holy Spirit? What part of me is making me want to run?

I never cheated in school. Except once, in Grade 10 Gym class, when I took a short cut during 'the run' (and got caught by the teacher--who was driving her car). 

I ran today. It was my longest distance since High School. And the wettest ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment