Monday, November 29, 2010

Defying beauty

I spent a good part of this afternoon skimming through articles in a newly circulating magazine "Fresh" that deals with anti-aging and cosmetic therapy. The smorgasbord of effective products and treatments now available to shave years off one's face is very impressive. And these are not mere snake oil remedies taking advantage of our unquenchable quest for perfection--thanks to wealthy baby boomers, whose research dollars have made it conceivable for the this generation to find the fountain of eternal youth and beauty.

I don't deny that looking young and beautiful is a desire of my heart too. But there are two faces in my memory that put things into perspective.

The first I saw years ago when I was riding on a bus. A couple of people were sitting behind me and I couldn't help but overhear their conversation. One woman in particular had a very foul mouth; every sentence that spilled out of her was filled with profanity and criticism for the people in her life. Her words revealed a very bitter and petty soul. How surprised I was to turn around and see the mouth belonging to a fresh-faced, blond and blue-eyed teenager. I thought, "How odd, that princess look doesn't match the sound at all!"

The second memorable face appeared in a documentary movie entitled, "Searching for the Wrong-Eyed Jesus". The film documented a journey through poor areas of the Southern US. One segment featured an old woman with an unforgettable face. She had small eyes, a long hooked nose, sunken chin and virtually absent jaw line. Her white, papery skin sagged from the passage of many years; time clearly left its mark. But the most riveting thing was what came out of her mouth, she was singing a hymn of praise with complete serenity.

I found myself asking, "How many years of teasing and ridicule she may have endured because of her looks? Was she ever married and was she loved? How was it possible for her to sing so beautifully to God?" This time I thought to myself, "How odd, that look doesn't match the sound of the princess at all!"

No comments:

Post a Comment