Thursday, December 2, 2010

Tammy Faye Bakker

The Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker scandal in the 1980's really gave Christianity a black eye. Many judged them as utterly fake, manipulative and crooked people. That was my impression too until I saw a documentary entitled, "The Eyes of Tammy Faye".

The film helped get me past the thick mascara and my own prejudice, revealing a woman who wore her heart on her sleeve, embracing gay people before it became fashionable and supporting AIDS patients before Princess Diana made it cool--someone full of love who saw everyone as equally loveable.

The film also opened my eyes to the enormous trials she faced before, after and even during that period of remarkable success in the late 70s and early 80's. I came to think that through her rise and fall and through the many trials along the way her faith in God remained solid, her kindness did not shake, her confidence didn't shrink and that her forgiveness for her adversaries was abiding. Was she guilty and deserving of the scandalous accusations? Probably...though we don't know to what extent. To have reached that kind of success and fame would have brought temptation beyond what most people can handle; who are we to judge? The fact is, I came to think her faith in God was real...

This prompted me to Google the rest of her story. Turns out she finished strong. After an 11 year battle with recurring forms of cancer, and with just 65 lbs on her frame, her last words on Larry King Live, the night before she died, were a declaration of love to her fans expressing her deep desire for them to get to know Jesus: "I'd like to say that I genuinely love you (fans), and I genuinely care and I genuinely want to see you in Heaven someday. I want you to find peace. I want you to find joy..."

This woman embraced those that society shunned, had tangible faith in God during life's worst trials and pointed toward Heaven as her life drained away--she turned my attention toward Jesus. I hadn't expected that from Tammy Faye Bakker.

No comments:

Post a Comment