Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I don't know who I am when I am doing nothing

Look how many 'I's' are in that sentence; my high school English teacher would have been horrified. Avoiding bad writing style is one thing, there's something more insidious to look out for here. Experience tells me the frequency with which someone uses 'I' in their speech or writing often indicates their mental well-being.

Of all the addictions that can trap us, we tend to be the least aware of this 'I' obsession and its damage upon our psyche. Secular society may not even think of it as a problem, because for many this life is it--get the most for 'me' now. Yet, psychologists and counsellors make their living off the disease.

Habitual self-absorption is hard to break. We are born with it to a certain degree and then 'life happens', getting us even more stuck. But the Bible has a remedy for it, using a surprising word to label this sickness: sin.

If God calls self-absorption sin, it is no wonder then that His most important commandment to us is "to love the Lord with all your heart, all your soul and all your mind"(Luke 10:37). Jesus goes even further to say that "Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it" (Matthew 10:39). And there's the cure: if we make Jesus our sole obsession, he will replace all other addictions, to set us free even from ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment