Saturday, March 26, 2011

It depends on me?

When I was just a kid, probably no more than 10 years old, I asked one of my adult brothers this question: "Do ghosts really exist?" To my disappointment, his answer didn't really help me overcome my fear. He said that ghosts existed if you believed they did, and that they didn't exist if you didn't believe. Even back then, I thought that was a non-answer, that he really didn't know, but that at least he sounded like he knew what he was talking about. 

To say someone's or something's existence depends on my belief was and still is a dumb answer. Not only is it illogical, it is surprisingly self-absorbed, like saying the world revolves around me. Today we have fancy terms like relativism to label this ego-centric belief system. Let's just call it for what it is. In conversations about 'spirituality' and 'self-actualization', I find it is next to impossible to pinpoint exactly what many people believe. Their relativism--that is extremely self-centric orientation--causes them to constantly re-interpret and re-define normal words on their own terms; we can hardly communicate meaningfully.

Either ghosts exist or they don't. Either God exists or He doesn't. Even a simple "I don't know" is better than saying "It depends on you"!

No comments:

Post a Comment